June 2015 - Code Compliance


Using Oxygen at Home…

June 1, 2015

If you need oxygen at home, it is important to learn how to use and take care of your equipment safely. This information will help you get the most from your oxygen treatment.

Do not light candles, lanterns, fires, and cookers or smoke while you are wearing your oxygen. There is a serious risk of fire or burns.

Oxygen is a fire hazard so follow safety measures to keep you and you’re family safe. Never smoke or let anyone else smoke while you are using oxygen. Put up “no smoking signs”, and be aware of people smoking near you if you are using your oxygen outside of your home.

Keep oxygen at least six feet (two metres) away from flames or heat sources such as gas cookers, paraffin or gas heaters, candles, cigarettes, cigars and fireplaces.

Do not use flammable products, such as cleaning fluid, paint thinner, petroleum based creams or aerosols, while you are using oxygen.

Keep a fire extinguisher at home within easy reach.

Keep oxygen cylinders upright. Make sure they do not fall over and get damaged, especially when travelling in a vehicle. Ask your supplier for a transport box.

Inform your local fire department that you have oxygen at home. They can advise you on how to keep safe.

Ensure you have smoke alarms within your home that are in working order (the local fire service can advise you and supply you with them).

If you have portable (ambulatory) oxygen, make sure you have an oxygen sticker for your car in case you are in an accident, speak to your oxygen supplier about safe transport of your oxygen.